segunda-feira, 1 de outubro de 2012

Learn more about "know", "meet", "see", "visit".

The four words we'll talk about --know, meet, see, and visit-- are used in similar ways, but they're not 100% interchangeable. Let's look:

Common Error: "Know" vs. "Meet," "See," and "Visit"
DON’T say this:I want to travel to France to know the Eiffel Tower.
I have never known New York, but I've heard it's an amazing city.
The Spring Social Meeting is a great way to know new people.
WHY?If you know someone or something, it means that you have knowledge or information about them.

If you meet a person, you see him or her for the first time. This situation can be called an introduction, since you introduce one person to another person.

If you visit a place or person, you interact with them in some way.

If you see a person or place, it's similar to visit; normally you interact with them, but you may just observe them.
INSTEAD, SAY THIS:-"I want to travel to France to see/visit the Eiffel Tower." 
-"I have never visited/been to/gone to New York, but I've heard it's an amazing city."
-"The Spring Social Meeting is a great way to meet new people."
-"Do you know Paul? He's a really nice guy." OR "Have you met Paul?"
-"I don't know French, but I do know German."






Source: Sitzman ABC

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário